I assume you will find the relevant Wikipedia articles yourself, but here are some additional resources Ifind useful. From time to time I will add more links. Note that some of the following articles are not available as open access papers – in these cases, look out for a library that provides the belonging journals. Or find another way.
GIF and Other File Specifications
GIFs and Film Studies / Pre-Cinéma
- Chiarini, Alessandra (2016): The Multiplicity of the Loop: The Dialectics of Stillness and Movement in the Cinemagraph.
- Jameson (2013): Are Animated Gifs a Type of Cinema?
- Punt, Michael: Parallel Histories: Early Cinema and Digital Media.
- Rustad, Gry C. (2015): GIFs, Memes, and ‘Telephilia’: The Aesthetics of a Digital Television Spectatorship .
- Schiet, Noraly (2013): From Muybridge to Cinemagraph. Renewed interest & Nostalgia in the Animated Image. In: New Media Studies, #7 (2013), pp. 58 – 83.
Emotions and self expression in GIFs
- GIFGIF – MIT quantitative study on how users link certain emotions to GIFs.
- Cai; Cao; Ji (2015): Video (GIF) Sentiment Analysis Using Large Scale Auto Generated Mid-Level Ontology.
- Jou et. al.: Predicting Viewer Perceived Emotions in Animated GIFs [based on the GIFGIF project of the MIT] (PDF).
- McKay, Sally: The Affect of Animated GIFs.
- Tiidenberg (2014): The things we can’t say in selfies -– narrating the self through GPOY, reaction-GIF and ‘current status’ images.
GIF users behaviour / appropriation / Memes
- Bourlai; Herring (2014): Multimodal Communication on Tumblr: “I Have So Many Feels!“.
- Douglas, Nick (2014): It’s Supposed to Look Like Shit: The Internet Ugly Aesthetic.
- Gürsimsek, Ödül Akyapi (2016): Animated GIFs as vernacular graphic design: producing Tumblr blogs.
- Hillman, Serena; Procyk, Jason; Neustaedter, Carman (2014): Tumblr Fandoms, Community & Culture.
- Rourke (2011): The Doctrine of the Similar (GIF GIF GIF).
- Uhlin (2014): Playing in the Gif(t) Economy.
- Xu; et. al. (2014): Rolling through Tumblr: Characterizing Behavioral Patterns of the Microblogging Platform.
Technical Aspects / Hacking GIF files
- Amer; et. al. (1999): Network-conscious GIF image transmission over the Internet.
- Djaziri-Larbi; et. al. (2015): Voicing of animated GIF by data hiding – A technique to add sound to the GIF format.
- Frandsen; Zhang (2014): GIF to HTML5 Video – Optimizing GIF for Modern Browsers.
- Gross (2013): Glitch, Please: Datamoshing as a Medium-SpecificApplication of Digital Material.
- Rohm; et. al. (2011): Discovering a Joomla Exploit for Possible Malware: Social Engineering and a PHP BASE64 GIF Exploit.
- Simen: GIF: A Technical History.
Other Research Papers
- Eppink (2014): A brief history of the GIF (so far).
- Denoue; et. al. (2013): Content-based copy and paste from video documents.
- Gygli, Michael; Soleymani, Mohammad (2016): Analyzing and Predicting GIF Interestingness.
- Johnson, Jeremiah (aka Nullsleep): Animated GIF Minimum Frame Delay Browser Compatibility Study.
- Redi; et. al. (2014): 6 Seconds of Sound and Vision: Creativity in Micro-Videos
- Suhr, Karl (2014): Using Animated GIF Images for Library Instruction.
- Vandermissen et. al. (2014): The Rise of Mobile and Social Short-Form Video: An In-depth Measurement Study of Vine.You may also want to have a look at the bibliography on the GIF conference website.
Media Coverage (just a few articles that contain more than just general information)
- Alfonso III, Fernando (2012): Why reaction GIFs are the new emoticon.
- Eler (2012): How GIF Trash Became Internet Culture Glue.
- Friedman, Ann (2012): What journalists need to know about animated GIFs — really.
- Johnson (2014): A Brief History of Animated GIF Art.
Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4
- Phelps, Andrew (2012): The 2012 Summer Olympics are turning into a giant coming-out party for the animated GIF.
- Thompson, Clive (2013): The Animated GIF: Still Looping After All These Years.
- N. N. (2012): Oxford Dictionaries USA Word of the Year 2012 (Press release) .
- Espenschied, Dragan; Lialina, Olia: Olia’s and Dragan’s Comparative History of Classic Animated GIFs and Glitter Graphics.
- Espenschied, Dragan; Lialina, Olia: One Terabyte of Kilobyte Age. Digging through the Geocities Torrent.
- Scott, Jason: Please be patient – This Page is Under Construction.
Literature (Yes, printed stuff. Support your local library:)
- Baumgärtel, Tilman (2015): “Schleifen. Zur Geschichte und Ästhetik des Loops”, Kulturverlag Kadmos, Berlin. [German; focusses on audio loops!]
- Koman, Richard (1996): “GIF Animation Studio. Animating Your Web Site“, O’Reilly, Sebastopol (California).
- Murray, James D.; VanRyper, William (1994): “Encyclopedia of Graphic File Formats“, O’Reilly, Sebastopol (California).
- Perez (2013): “Gif Fics and the Rebloggable Canon of SuperWhoLock”, In: Booth (ed.): “Doctor Who”, Bristol; Chicago: Intellect Books.
- Berns, Jörg Jochen (Ed., 2005): “Daumenkino. The Flip Book Show”, Snoeck, Köln. [German]