Some more or less recent stuff, focussed on GIFs. Or other web animations. Or something else loosely connected to that.
Redditor minimaxir did some great work and created a huge database of Reddit comments. Based on that, he analysed the ratings for GIFs in comparison with other image types and YouTube videos on Reddit for the last years.
If you need to explain GIFs to your granny (and she speaks German), then try to do it with this radio interview on Deutschlandradio. They talk about some popular examples (Confused Travolta, for instance) and how they fit into several categories of GIF animations. Oh yeah, and they speak of yet another GIF “revival”…
I did’t come along any more linkworthy GIF-related stuff this month. So, instead of a typical link list, here are some “Shower Thoughts” and other ideas from Reddit about GIFs:
- I wonder if the current generation is better at lipreading because of gifs.
- Deaf people see in Gifs.
- The phrase “animated gif” is now redundant. The phrase “stationary gif” would be far more useful, as it would signal people to brace for disappointment.
- Wouldn’t it be awful if they started putting ads at the start of GIFs?
- It’s 2015 and one of the most popular sites on the internet is mostly text and low resolution gifs.
- Imgur should have a secret Santa .gif exchange
- Animated GIFs have revived silent film.
- Thanks to the popularity of gifs, we are living in the golden age of silent films.
- In the Harry Potter universe, you could probably get a .gif tattooed on you.
- Playboy magazine would be full of gifs instead of jpegs in the Harry Potter universe
- We need a new TL;DR. How about TS;DL (Too slow; didn’t look) for those times when the picture or gif takes too damn long to load!
- Holding down the “print screen” button should create a video or gif.
- A still picture is 2D. Time is a dimension. Therefore an animated GIF is 3D.
- Should you make a GIF where every frame is a GIF, would it become a 4d tesseract?
- If a .gif is is loaded on an unopened tab does it still play? [Note: I should have had a look at Reddit before I wrote the Schrödinger’s GIF article]
- Commenting with a .gif is like using advanced heiroglyphs.
- In the future, people will say “oh, gif, jif,” instead of “oh, tomāto, tomäto.”
- Few people care about sources until it comes to porn gifs
- GIFs that stop too early are clickbait for YouTube videos
- I hope my death doesn’t become a popular .gif on the internet.
- Everyone uses OC reaction gifs of themselves
- Put animated .gifs on postage stamps. Watch stamp collecting become a billion-dollar industry.
- A word/phrase for adding sound in your head while watching a gif or other silent video